12/01/2011

Matryoshka Ornament + Key Cover: Tutorial and Free Pattern

I'm sorry that I have not posted for a while. I have been very busy with my work and also not feeling well the last couple days.
I promised to myself that I could not post until I finished a certain task for my job...I just did it today so now I can post a tutorial for the Matryoshka Ornament + Key cover :)



Materials you will need:
Cotton Fabrics for body and lining

Fleece or quilt batting
Ribbon and Key ring

Cotton Lace (optional)
Pattern or tracing paper
Sewing pins


Seam allowance: 1/4" (or 0.7 cm.)

Note: when you print out the pattern and pattern detail; please make sure that in your print properties, the scaling is set to "None".
The pattern is in a pdf format. So, the acrobat reader is required.

Let's start!
1. Trace the pattern on to the fabrics and cut main fabrics, lining fabrics, and batting according to the pattern guideline. Cut out the focus and lining fabrics and batting (I put the letter codes on the fabrics in the picture matching the pattern pieces).

Note: for the face and hair patterns, if you use felt, you can use the pattern pieces as given. But if you use fabrics like mine, please add 1/4" or 0.7 cm. seam allowance.

2. Start by sewing pattern A and B together
Then clip the curved area

3. Place fleece, right side of the main fabric and the lining together (make sure that the pattern on the main fabric and lining fabric match up)
Trace pattern C on the wrong side of the lining fabric, sew along the pattern line but do not forget to leave about 1 1/2" opening
Trim off excess fleece/ quilt batting and then clip along the curve (the arrow shows the opening)
5. Repeat step 3 and 4 but using the focus fabric - C instead..then turn the right side out and slip stitch across the opening ( I hand sewed using the ladder stitch and added cotton lace here)

6. For the front body piece, trace the face pattern and then applique the face piece followed by the hair pieces

7. Draw the face detail(eyes, cheeks, and mouth) and then practice your hand embroidery skill :)

8. Turn to the lining side and mark the bodies according to the pattern guideline (white arrows)

9. Align the mark areas and then pinned two pieces together..sew two pieces together using ladder stitches (I sewed from the lining sides and then turned right side out)

10. Insert the ribbon through the opening at the top before tying the ribbon with a key ring..then you are done!

Please leave me any question or comment you might have. I will be happy to answer.

Thank you for visiting my blog and hope to see you again soon!







This post is linked up with:
"Tip Me Tuesday" @ Tip Junkie
"Ta-Da Tuesday Link Party" @ Mommy by day Crafter by night
"Round Tuit Link Party" @ Creating my Way to Success
"Whatever goes Wednesday" @ Someday Crafts

"Made by Me Wednesdays" @ JAQS studio
"Friday Favs on Naptime Crafters"
"Delicately Constructed Friday" @ Delicate Construction
"Show and Tell Friday" @ My Romantic Home
"Let's Party! on Blissful & Domestic"
"Once Upon a Weekend" @ Family Ever After
"Handmade with Love" - a holiday tutorial @ Pink Chalk Studio


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial, Tanya. I've pinned this and hope to make for my Mum for Christmas.... if I have time!!! Hope you are feeling better soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable! You are truly creative!! I look forward to experimenting with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! you are so creative! I am featuring this on my facebook page today:>

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute! What a great stocking stuffer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute little keychain! Great tutorial too!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the time you spent on this so you could share with us! Just so adorable, in my notebook now! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. sooo cute! very creative
    http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up, Tanya. This is still on my LONG 'to do' list...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Thank you very much for taking time to visit my blog. :) I will try to reply to every comment as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...