11/27/2011

Solids-only Tote Challenge - Final Result!

Finally I finished the tote for the Solids-only Tote Challenge...just a few days before the deadline..Yeah!




Here is the detail about this challenge:

Guidelines:
PROJECT: Tote bag
THE KICKER: You must use solid colors only, no prints!
TECHNIQUES: Use at least one of the following: Applique, Reverse Applique, or Patchwork.
VOTING: A Polldaddy poll will be set up to determine the winner.
PRIZES: Winner(s) will receive bragging rights and a snazzy button!


Timeline:
START: November 1st, 2011
LAST DAY FOR SUBMISSION: November 30th, 2011
VOTING: December 1-31, 2011
WINNER ANNOUNCED: January 2012
(I copied the information about this challenge from Rikka @ Ricochet and Away's page ^-^)

I have to thank Rikka and Keren for hosting this wonderful challenge and also to my fellow solids-only tote challenge participants for the inspiration and encouragement.

I sewed the Hawaiian applique girl on to the denim used as the tote body.


Then, on the other side, I was inspired by Pam @ Threading My Way who showed a great applique tutorial on her blog.

This is the first time I tried machine applique and I'm glad I did...I got to try different stitches that are available on my sewing machine and I like the result I got.
I went with curvy flowers so they would fit with the Hawaiian girl design.


O.K. here is the picture of what I call "Hawaiian Chic Drawstring Tote".

And this is how it looks on the other side.

Actually, when I first planned to make this tote..I thought of a more box-like/rectangular shape. But I'm glad I changed to this drawstring style instead..it gives the casual look which fits with the applique designs. For the drawstring part, I used cloth webbing that is normally used for the tote handles and cover the ends with denims.

This is the first time I used only solid fabrics and I am quite proud that I used everything I already have on hand to make this tote (Yes, even the handle..I bought it ages ago and did not think it would become so handy ^-^)


What do you think of the tote? I would love to hear your comment or suggestion.
and Thank you very much for stopping by my blog. :)







This post is linked up with:
"Ta-da Tuesday Link Party" @ Mommy by day Crafter by night

"Think Pink Sundays No. 38" @ Flamingo Toes
"Delicately Constructed Fridays" @ Delicate Construction
"Manic Monday Link Party" @ Sew Happy Geek
"Fabric Tuesday" @ Quilt Story
"Link Party No. 76" @ Tea Rose Home



11 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous, Tanya!!! I love the shape of the flowers and the Hawaiian girl is just beautiful!!! The shape of the tote works well. A great tote!!! I bet you get lots of comments on the Hawaiian girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out so great, Tanya! The design is very innovative--brilliant idea with the drawstring! I really like the style of the bamboo handle as well. I hadn't seen one quite like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Although I have sewn a few bags...they still remain one of my least favorite. Kudos to you! Thanks for stopping by Hating Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya it turned out just Fantastic! I knew it would ^.^ The shape fits it just perfect and great job on the machine applique too. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved this, Tanya! Thanks for linking up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these interesting strong advice, it is great to come across articles as interesting as yours! I wish you health, longevity, success, happiness and peace of heart.

    voyance gratuite

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is really great, I wanted to thank you for the help you provide.
    gay telephone

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the highly informatics and attractive blogs that has not only educated also informed me in a very effective manner. There are very few blog like this one I have read.
    voyance par mail en ligne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed, this realization is a real wonder, thank you for this article in any case.

    voyance par mail rapide

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to know that there are doing that to our food. I guess anything you eat the skin, buy organic or pesticide free, anything you peel than it is not necessary.
    voyance par mail gratuit

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Thank you very much for taking time to visit my blog. :) I will try to reply to every comment as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...